Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Reflections...

Admittedly, I fail at this blogging thing...Sometimes I'm really into it, other times I'm fully aware that I have a global audience of people I've never met (which makes me nervous)!

I've been in Malawi for 13 months now...my, how time flies!  So here's a quick review of what I've been up to in Malawi since my last blog in May.

June:
-Participated in Universal Mosquito Net Distribution program with PSI and Peace Corps.  In Salima District, more than 190,000 nets were distributed.

Manets!  These long life treated nets will provide protection for 3 years!

Women carry manets home. 
-Visited Kuti Game Ranch in Salima.  Walked 3 hours to get there.  Avoided a puff adder. Saw some zebra, ostrich, and deer-like animals. Sadly, none of them are Malawian, except the puff adder.

Alexis with Ostrich

Zebra stripes!
-Site visited my friends in Balaka and Ulongwe.  Hung out at Mvuu Lodge & Liwonde National Park.  Saw some hippos in the Shire River.  Ran away from some elephants.

My friend Chloe and I sailing across the Shire River!

Mvuu aka Hippos!
July:
-Celebrated the 4th of July and my 1 year anniversary of being in Malawi at Kande Beach.
-Malawians rioted against the current economic crisis and unpopular politics.  Can't provide my own take on what's going down in Malawi, but here is a good article to summarize the situation:  IRIN: Malawi's 'Arab Spring'?
-Trained 34 youths and 17 health center staff in peer education and the Hope Kit (blog to come).

August:
-Facilitated sessions on HIV and peer education at Camp Girls Leading Our World (GLOW).  Camp GLOW is organized by health volunteers in Malawi each year.  Check it out:  Camp GLOW
-Attended Mid-Service Training in Dedza with my fellow health volunteers.  Wow, it really has been one year of living in Malawi!
-Observed trained peer educators do what I trained them to do!  Awesome!!

Thanks for all your love and support this past year!  Twelve months of service left, and I'm hoping they are filled with success, adventure, and work.  

2 comments:

  1. Sally,

    I see that you read my book, From Microsoft to Malawi. How did you like it? I'm always looking for feedback. How does my Peace Corps experience in Malawi compare to yours? Please send your response to my email account at mike_buckler@yahoo.com. Thanks. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are wonderful and doing so many amazing things! You rock, Stally!

    ReplyDelete